Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The name...

The title of this blog is actually a nickname I was given.

It probably sounds like I am good with a knife, or perhaps I am known for my cutting comments. True or not, these are not the source of this silly moniker.

Here's how it started...

As I've already told you, I am a truck driver; but I am not your average truck driver. I take loads the others can't do. I go places others won't go and I do it all faster and better. I try not to brag, but this is definitely my forté.

These abilities often receive a lot of recognition, and that has been so in my case. Fighter pilots are given their handle by other pilots, truck drivers either make them up themselves or are given one by dispatch. Mine was the latter.

I have a dispatcher and friend who only knew of one other Barry, and it wasn't even a real person. Ever see the movie "The Client"? It is based upon a John Grisham novel of the same name. Well, one of the thugs that works for the mob boss is an humongous dummy named Barry. He's good with a knife. They call him...Barry The Blade. So, to my good friend, it only made sense that the only other Barry he had ever met should share that name.

I guess to some it sounds cool. I don't care either way. I guess it's nice to know that someone thinks about you enough to think that you're worthy of a nickname.

The only time my name ever changes is when I "whine". This means I have to call off the dogs because I'm being beaten down by too many miles in too short a time. It's hardly whining; sometimes I have to do it to save my life. Then I'm called Barry The Bleeder. You see, it's like Blade, because it has a Bl- in the front...oof. My friends are douche bags.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...a bit pompous, are we?